On Wed, Feb 1, 2017, 11:43 Ned Deily, <n...@python.org> wrote:

> On Feb 1, 2017, at 14:14, Brett Cannon <br...@python.org> wrote:
> #NNNN: did something". The problem is that Github automatically links
> "#NNNN" to GitHub issues (which includes pull requests). To prevent
> incorrect linking we need to change how we reference issue numbers.

> >> +1
> >>
> >> That form, as well as issueNNNN (no space), is already recognized in
> comments on bugs.python.org and autogenerates a link to the bug.
> >>

> https://docs.python.org/devguide/triaging.html#generating-special-links-in-a-comment
> > We can change it to do whatever we want since we control bpo, so it can
> be updated to automatically link bpoNNNN or "bpo NNNN" as well.
>
> Sure.  My point was that IssueNNNN is a form that is already in common
> use: I, for one, use it all the time.  Why invent another one?

Doomsday scenario:

- Roundup doesn't move to Python 3 (or some other reason)
- We then move off of Roundup
- New solution doesn't let us choose our issue #s (e.g. GitHub issues)
- Now we have to namespace our issues going forward

So in my head we're going to have to deal with this someday anyway, so why
not tweak it now instead of putting it off?

But if we agree to issueNNNN and stop using "issue NNNN" then I'm less
bothered by this is it means we chose a very subtle namespacing (I'm still
-0, though, as I see people forgetting to leave out the space).

-Brett