Am Do., 14. Feb. 2019 um 18:47 Uhr schrieb Vadim Bendebury
<vben...@chromium.org>:
> Why does it have to be done by Seabios as opposed to Linux? It is easy to
> create a USB stick which would boot Linux compiled with permissions needed
> and with startup files which will program the new firmware image. This would
> be much easier to debug and modify when needed, right?
I think the idea is to provide flashing from within the boot flow. But
even then I wouldn't rely on SeaBIOS for that, but use libflashrom to
build a payload: SeaBIOS can load other payloads, as can GRUB2, so
that increases the potential user base of the flashing feature, and it
would be smaller than a disk image of a Linux that's put into flash
(which sounds rather convoluted to me).

Patrick