----- Original Message -----
> From: "Patrick Georgi" <pgeo...@google.com>

I do understand, but at the time in 2007 crypto locking of anything was still
pretty rare.  Not that long before the fact that the TiVo was locked literally
made headlines.  We're now in a position where there are large, and growing,
parts of the firmware that are simply off limits to this type of approach, and
somehow we're not drawing a distinction between "can be replaced without vendor
permission" and "vendor absolutely must go against its already stated goals to
allow us to replace this part".  I think we need to step back and have some
serious discussion around that before we can really determine if the current
approach is working.

Unless I'm mistaken, the firmware parts that have open source coreboot code in
them now are *not* the parts that are locked behind the signing keys.  It feels
like we're sorta kinda maintaining status quo (maybe with a bit of vendor help
now) for the unlocked parts, while completely ignoring the losses to the new
signed/locked parts.

>> Again, I ask that the Website be updated to better reflect the distinction
>> between project aspirations with no industry backing and the actual, on the
>> ground reality of the situation, not just today, but over the past several
>> years.
>>
> The mission statement of a hunger aid program isn't "feed 500k people",
> it's "end hunger". "Feed 500k people" is just a milestone.

You have something here...the Web site doesn't read like an unattainable (but
admirable) goal.  It reads like this is where we are today.  When anyone says
"end world hunger" they immediately understand just how impossible that really
is, but understand as well it's an aspiration worthy of working toward.
Coreboot on x86 doesn't have that kind of immediate recognition of the
unattainable nature of the goal, and that is directly harming other
architectures, systems, and projects where the goal is already attained today.