On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 04:46:00PM +0000, awokd via coreboot wrote:
> Patrick Georgi via coreboot:
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > coreboot is shipping AMD's open sourced AGESA for a few generations
> > as part of its tree.
> >
> > Some people advocate dropping the code due to its quality and lack
> > of maintenance while others are happy with using the code.
> >
> > So: to help keep this code alive, we'd need maintainers - people
> > willing to work through issues, improve the code quality and generally
> > act as a point of contact if any questions arise.
> >
> > One item to start with could be to work through Coverity
> > issues, where the largest proportion is now AGESA based
> > after Jacob cleaned up most of the rest of the tree. See
> > https://scan.coverity.com/projects/coreboot
>
> I would like to help out. Is there someone experienced who can mentor me
> on setting up a streamlined, open-source development environment for
> Coreboot? I've been using grep and gedit for my hacking needs, but
> trying to maintain a 5 level deep state table of AGESA code dependencies
> in my head was a problem. How did Jacob get started and what IDE did he
> use, for example?

The Coverity issue tracker has several IDE-like features, such as a usage
finder and go-to definitions. This was adequate for most of my needs, and
anything else I tracked down using vim and judicious use of grep. There are
probably more efficient ways to do this (eg. ctags?), but this was sufficient
for my purposes, since most Coverity problems only need a local understanding
of the codebase. If you're looking to start tackling Coverity issues then
#1405310, #1241824, #1241913, and #1241847 (and other issues of those types)
look like a good place to get started. I'd be happy to help you through the
workflow and review patches for simple fixes like these, but don't have the
knowledge to do the more complex ones.

Cheers,
Jacob