Hi Jeo and Snew,

I should have mentioned in my earlier letter, I have several good
friends here in the USA who are Chinese.

I have sometimes asked my Chinese friends to teach me a few words of
Chinese, and **my** pronunciation of Chinese is terrible, they can
barely understand me, even though I am only repeating back to them the
words they said to me !!!!

So the problem of pronunciation is really a difficult problem, I am
well aware of this.

Speakers of European languages, (especially Swedish and Dutch, and to a
lesser extent, German, for some reason) often learn to speak English
with near-perfect pronunciation--One Dutch friend has even learned to
speak with a (Brooklyn)-New-York-city accent, which is a really strange
accent in comparison with most USA-English...But she does it! She
really sounds like she is from New York City, not Maastricht,
Netherlands, her true home city....

Merry Christmas and Happy (western) New Year,
John

Reply via email to