Hi Roy,

I can see what you mean. After an absence of nearly half a century I returned to Belfast. Picked up by cousins from the airport we squeezed into their car, with luggage, and proceeded to Newtonards. En route, there was easy banter between us, jokes and smiles but my Australian wife had difficulty following the conversation. It was not just the accents, but the expressions and light humour too. I had no difficulty - in fact I didn't even notice any difference between us. "You haven't left Ireland, have you?" she asserted.:-D Apparently my brough was still apparent - it was easy to slip back into vernacular.

Gordon