I am a data scientist.  When I needed to learn how to build a web
application, Couchapp was the first thing I learned.  I chose it because it
was the only thing I could really understand. Viewed as a system, it's a
lot simpler to have one thing storing your application code and data,
instead of two or more things which must communicate with each other.
After my first few apps, I learned to use Backbone, d3, etc. in my
Couchapps.  I find the results better than what I can get creating an
R-Shiny or Flask application. In summary, the Couchapp architecture makes
it easier to get started programming web applications, without having to
learn some middleman API.