Simon writes:

I have already deleted the local cache files from the TBird profile, so there is something wrong on the server side.

I'm confident that there's nothing wrong on the server side.

Well, maybe you'll not be quite so confident when I tell you that doing
an ls -al of the .Trash/cur directory does something similar - nothing
is returned, and the cursor just sits there blinking happily - I have to
just quit that putty session. Tailing /var/log/messages and monitoring

Sounds like your filesystem is either corrupted or overloaded. Run fsck on this partition, to check for corruption.

drwx------   2 postfix postfix  9100472 Jul 17 12:40 cur
-rw-------   1 postfix postfix        0 Oct 31  2005 maildirfolder
drwx------   2 postfix postfix       48 Oct 31  2005 new
drwx------   2 postfix postfix 32388568 Jul 17 12:04 tmp

That's fine, but it won't be much of a help if your IMAP client is
confused.

I really don't thyink this is a client issue...

Why wouldn't just deleting the local Trash folder and letting it re-sync
from the server be enough? How/where else could its confusion lie? I

Because it sounds like there are hundreds of thousands of messages in the trash folder, and your IMAP client can't deal with it.

If no one has any other ideas, I guess I have no choice but to
delete/recreate the maildir - but before I do, I would like to get
specific confirmation of the commands I posted earlier to simply delete
then recreate the Trash folder... as I said, Idon't have much experience
doing this, and would prefer to not make matters worse because of a dumb
mistake.

You're under the impression that it's much more complicated than it actually is. It's just a bunch of files and directories. Yes, nuking the trash folder, and recreating it, will be fine, presuming there's no underlying filesystem corruption.

Courier is really nothing more than a translator between IMAP commands and filesystem operations. Messages are files, folders are directories. Courier has no problems with folders that contain hundreds of thousands of messages, provided that you have enough memory, and adjust the default ulimit settings appropriately, but if your underlying filesystem just can't handle hundreds of thousands of files in a directory, you're going to have a problem.