>> This is actually a Reiserfs file system...

 > Ah. Welcome to the world of Reiserfs filesystem corruption :-(

Yeah, I know - I want to convert this FS over to ext3, but am not sure
of the easiest/best/most reliable way of doing so... any pointers to
HowTo's? I *think* switching filesystems as easy as tarring up the
partition, reformatting, then restoring?

 > A corrupted Reiserfs filesystem is a very dangerous thing. It may be
 > completely unrecoverable already. Try to back up what you can, and
 > then run for the hills.

Well, its been rock-solid up to now, and this is definitely *not* the
result of an unexpected power loss or anything like that, so I'm
*hoping* this is not unrecoverably serious.

 > If you rename .Trash to SKIPME (or any directory name not beginning
 > with a period) then it should be ignored by the courier-imap server,
 > and not displayed to clients. Then you can create a new .Trash.

Ok, the *only* directory causing ls to hang is the /tmp directory, so...

Which would be (less likely to cause *additional* problems) - rename the
entire .Trash directory? Or just the /tmp directory?

 > If you then backup using tar --exclude SKIPME, then hopefully it
 > won't traverse into the broken directory.

Right, already considered something like that, but thanks for keeping me
sane...

Thanks again for your time,

Simon