On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 10:18:08PM +0000, Jim Murray wrote:
> I tried this today, with the same results. It segfaulted at a STATUS
> request every time, for every user.
> I ruled out hardware (the box is new, literally just built and memtest86
> completes fine)

Compiling a kernel is usually a better test - it's possible this fails even
if memtest86 says everything is OK. But since the crash is always at the
same place, that means it's a software problem.

> A bad library or corrupted binary is a possibility but I simply
> ran out of time to troubleshoot this one.

OK. I think this problem is specific to your system; I don't remember seeing
a similar problem reported on this list over several years. Or it might be
to do with the FreeBSD port.

If the binaries are still there you can continue to debug them by running
./imapd from the command line. There's no daemon to start, and it won't
affect your Dovecot users.

You could also try installing courier-imap from source, rather than ports,
and seeing if the problem is still there.

Of course, if Dovecot does what you need, and your interest is not piqued to
find out what's wrong, then it will probably remain unsolved :-)

Regards,

Brian.