From: "Jeff Jansen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 11:40 AM
Subject: [courier-users] Re: Certificate

On Tuesday 08 July 2003 01:40, "Lars Holmström"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I use SSL based IMAP and POP3. SOm eof my clients has
> OutlookExpress6. They recieve a warning the first time
> they connect to the Courier server after startup of OE.
>
> Which certificate files should I use for OE6 ?
> Is it the .pem files as well ?

The certificate the client "sees" depends on which "service"
you are using.  If OE uses IMAP to read mail then when it
connects to courier's imap server, courier presents the
imapd.pem certificate.  When OE connects to courier's esmtp
server to send mail then courier presents the esmtpd.pem
certificate.  If it connects to courier's pop3 server then
courier presents the pop3d.pem certificate.  You get the
idea.

> I did read how to import certificates in to OE6 but I can
> not admit it was totally clear. If some on know how to do
> this I would be glad.

Outlook and OE both use Internet Explorer's certificate
store and settings, so your users need to import the
certificate into IE.  In order to do that they need a copy
of the certificate.  Copy the certificate itself (the part
that looks like
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
-----END CERTIFICATE-----
) into a new file with a ".cer" extension.  Then make that
file available to your users.  You can email it to people,
put it on a file server, put it on a web browser, etc.

Depending on their version of Windows/IE, folks can usually
open the file in IE or Windows Explorer and it asks you if
you want to install it.  Just follow the instructions.

If that doesn't work then you can import it manually into IE
by going to Tools->Internet Options in IE.  Select the
Content tab and then click on the Certificate button.  Then
in the Certificate Manager click on the Import button and
follow the directions in the wizard.    Once it's imported
then shouldn't see any error messages again   (This is for
IE 5 but I think 6 is the same.)

Remember that the CN on the certificate should match the
server name in OE.  If your certificate is for
"www.domain.com" but in OE the mail server name is
"mail.domain.com" then you'll get an error because the
certificate being presented doesn't match the name being
asked for.  Also, if you are using the certificates that
courier creates automatically, then you'll need to import
all three certificates since courier uses separate
certificates for each service.   (I made my own using
openssl and then symlinked to those three .pem files so
users only had to import one certificate.)

Jeff Jansen
IVB