On Sunday 12 October 2003 07:24, Mark Mays wrote:
> I don't have a "me" file or a locals file. The hostname resolves to
> "mail.domain.com."
>
> All mail users are in userdb and userdb.dat using uid, gid, mail, home,
> and systempw. Owner of all files is courier.
>
> format is: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  uid=500|systempw=...|home=...|mail=...|gid=...

Well, I don't have THE answer but I have some ideas.  For starters this seems
odd.  If the machine is called "mail.domain.com" then is "domain.com" in
hosteddomains and acceptmailfor?  If not I'm not sure how you are getting any
mail into this system.  If courier doesn't know that "domain.com" is a valid
domain to accept mail for, then it ought to give you a "513 Relaying denied"
error every time you try and accept mail through SMTP. At least I think it
should.  Perhaps wiser heads than mine can shed some light on this.

> smtpaccess.dat allows local machines (192.168...) to send mail without
> authentication. This file is owned by courier. External IP addresses are
> denied in smtpaccess. My understanding is that this forces
> authentication for external IP's. In fact, it is requesting
> authentication for IP's outside the 192.168 network., it just is not
> accepting the userid and password.

External addresses don't need to be explicitly denied in the smtpaccess file.
By default NO ONE can relay.  You use smtpaccess to allow ip addresses to
relay or you can use smtp auth to allow people to relay.  Conversely you can
use smtpaccess to categorically deny some ip addresses.  Try removing the
lines that block outside addresses and just leave the lines that allow the
internal network to relay.  Maybe the explicit block is "winning", so that
even if you authenticate those addresses are still blocked from relaying.

Sam would have to explain the order that these get checked and whether this is
true or not, however.

> # ls /usr/lib/courier/libexec/courier/modules/esmtp/ -lh
> total 1.5M
> -r-xr-x---    1 courier  courier       25K Jul 31 02:23 addcr
> -r-xr-xr-x    1 courier  courier       49K Jul 31 02:23 authend
> -r-sr-x---    1 courier  courier      185K Jul 31 02:23 authstart
> -r-xr-x---    1 courier  courier      906K Jul 31 02:23 courieresmtp
> -r-xr-x---    1 courier  courier      328K Jul 31 02:23 courieresmtpd
>
> They are there. Could the permissions be wrong? I have not changed them
> from the original install, to my knowledge.

I've got the same permissions here.  I think you're fine as far as the
installation is concerned.

> Can courieresmtp be set to give up more information with a debug option,
> the way courier-IMAP produces detailed logging??

Not that I know of.

Jeff Jansen