Jeff Jansen wrote:

OK, I've looked about over your last messages and I saw something I missed. For permissions you have:

-r-sr-x--- 1 courier courier 185K Jul 31 02:23 authstart

But I have:

-r-sr-x--- 1 root courier 30k Sep 20 16:24 authstart

Maybe that's the problem. I've got authstart owned by root whereas you have it owned by courier. Try changing the owner to root. (I'd be curious to know from someone "in the know" why those might be different.)

That was it!

I now have only allowed relaying for 127.0.0.0 in smtpaccess/default, am denying none, and I set the ownership of authstart to root...

Thanks for your persistence.

Mark Mays