Chris Petersen [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> There is already an SPF module for pythonfilter.
>
> Unfortunately, I had to disable it because so many web services out
> there insist on sending things like invites and referrals "from" my
> address rather than "from" them and "reply-to" to me.  SPF will only be
> effective if people start using the From header correctly.

SPF isn't meant to be applied to message headers ("From:", "Sender:",
whatever), but to the envelope sender address that's specified by the
sender through the "MAIL FROM" command during the SMTP dialog.

That being said, there's also an SPF module[1] for the Perl-based
Courier::Filter[2].  The problem with the current SPF-with-Courier
solutions is that they can reject messages only after they have been
completely received (i.e. after the "DATA" SMTP command, before finally
accepting the message).

Thus I'm also currently working on a patch to Courier that properly
integrates SPF support into Courier.  I hope Sam will consider adopting it
into the official Courier distribution when it is finished.

SPF is gaining ground fast as an anti-address-forgery mechanism.  Although
"just" about 20,000 domains have published SPF records so far[3], there
are quite a few *big* and frequently-forged ones among them[4], so it
would be a real waste not to make use of that potential.  Therefore I
think we need SPF support in the various MTA suites out there soon!