Noticed that sending messages was quite slow, status would say
"connecting" and then after a time lag would send in zippy time.

Using Outlook Express as a windows IMAP client, I turned on the
logging, and could see that it was a 30second delay between the
connection attempt and the interaction.

So i figured, this is tarpitting, and it serves me right for doing
manual probes from the commandline to test the services.

Left it overnight figuring the tarpitting would expire, but same deal today.

Have googled the list archives to death, and the site content, and
can't find much in the line of info on Tarpitting, except one email to
the list that would suggest that tarpitting works per SMTP connection,
and that subsequent SMTP attempts are exempt. If thats the case, then
either this has changed or my problem isn't tarpitting.

I've ran the following tests, setting up the accounts with outlook
express (its what just about all my IMAP customers use, so I test with
it as much as I can):

Machine 1 on siteA - 30 second SMTP delay
exported the account so that it can be imported exactly the same on
another computer

machine 2 on siteA - 30 second SMTP delay
ok, so its something to do with my ip address / network, and not
machine specific

machine 3 on siteB - instant SMTP from the same account
meaning that the account itself isn't tarpitted

machine 4 on siteC - instant SMTP from the same account

back to SiteA - still got the 30 second delay.
the tarpitting therefore hasn't expired.

I'm not aware of any netwok issues here that would cause this, and I'm
inclined to believe that this is tarpitting, and if so, it leads to
the following questions:

1) Should tarpitting be this persistent?

2) Should there be a way to un-tarpit my static IP?

3) Is this a bug that has crept in with the new release?

Regards,

Lisa.