Hi Gordon et al.,

I've just discovered a rather serious problem I'm having with the
courier perlfilter (which otherwise has been working reasonably well for
years).

The last several days I've been having problems with legit addresses
mysteriously getting blocked on my secondary MX ("556 Address
unavailable").  Trying to sort this out yesterday, I figured it had
something to do with backscatter suppression, so I set "opt
BOFHSUPPRESSBACKSCATTER=none" in bofh as a quick and rough fix.
However, as I discovered today, this had no effect.

What I've now realized is the problem seems to be a side effect of
C::F::Module::Envelope.

My courier-filter-perl.conf looks like this (non-salient preamble
removed; $rejectexp is a regular expression matching a number of spam-
plagued addresses which is built at launch time from a database):

$options = {
        logger => Courier::Filter::Logger::Syslog->new,
        modules => [
                Courier::Filter::Module::Envelope->new(
                        fields => {
                                recipient => qr/$rejectexp/,
                                },
                        response => 'mailbox no longer available.'
                        )
                ]
        };

Most of the time this has been working fine.  However, lately I've been
getting messages that are addressed to 3 recipients at the same
virtualdomain, one of which matches in the $rejectexp, and the other two
of which are legitimate.  Unfortunately the entire delivery, to all
recipients, is being summarily 550 rejected.

When the message originally arrives on my secondary MX (to which most
spam seems to come first), it is accepted successfully and then tries to
relay to the primary (as configured in esmtproutes).  The primary
rejects the delivery.  Presumably the secondary then sends out a bounce,
which oftentimes comes back, leading to the 556 situation and the
legitimate addresses now being permanently rejected by the secondary.

How can I fix this?

thanks,

-ben

--