On 09/21/2010 03:08 PM, Ben Kennedy wrote:
> Gordon Messmer wrote at 5:23 PM (-0700) on 9/20/10:
>
> Um... no.  Just their corresponding physical machine names and 'localhost'.

I wasn't thinking clearly when I asked... That's obviously the case.

> Well, that makes sense, now as you point it out.  I guess that's why the
> filters were never hitting on the secondary; with the domains appearing
> only in esmtpacceptmailfor (and esmtproutes), it was accepting all such
> mail indiscriminately.

As far as I know, the filters should work in your case as long as
they're in "allfilters".  Check "/var/spool/courier/allfilters"

> Hmm.  So this would require not only building a plain-text alias file
> from my mysql database (feasible), but also setting up a subdomain on
> every hosted domain in order to facilitate such forwarding (unreasonable).

Is it?  It's one entry in DNS and one line in your "locals" or
"hosteddomains" file.  Hardly seems unreasonable.

> Is there not a more straightforward way to achieve this?

The most straightforward configuration is not to have secondary MX
servers at all, and has been for many years.  Whether you use Courier or
something else, secondary MX servers are heavily targeted by spammers
specifically because admins tend not to configure those systems to
validate user addresses, or don't run the same filters on them.  My
advice is not to run one at all if you find the configuration unreasonable.

> Even if it can't be done, double-filtering messages is the least of my
> concerns at this stage.

I think it's more a concern than you credit it.  If you're double
filtering and the two servers disagree about any given message, the
secondary will end up blacklisting all of the recipients of the message
which your primary rejects.