On 09/22/2010 12:57 PM, Ben Kennedy wrote:

> Well, not onerously unreasonable I suppose, but it's a matter of
> context.  I have a couple of dozen domains hosted on the machine.  It
> seems like an extraordinary requirement to configure subdomains for
> every single one of them simply in order to get mail shipped between two
> common machines.
>
> I was musing that another way to work around this could be to specify
> temporary local mailboxes (e.g. like /var/spool/mail/somedomain.com-
> user/) on the secondary to which it would do deliveries like normal, and
> then rig up some rsync and scripts to manually shunt these boxes over to
> the primary on a regular basis, delivering their contents into the
> actual "live" maildirs.  This seems baroque and maybe as much work as
> automating the extra domains, though.

Vastly more.  Instead of one DNS entry per domain and an alias script,
you're proposing one Maildir per user and a script which will rsync
files, parse the rsync output and remove files which have been copied to
the final destination.

>> The most straightforward configuration is not to have secondary MX
>> servers at all, and has been for many years.
>
> With respect, I still find this argument somewhat specious.  Virtually
> every enterprise of any size on the internet still runs multiple MX
> servers.  While I appreciate that having a single point of reception
> means a simpler configuration, it also foregoes some measure of
> redundancy and versatility.  Are Google and Apple and IBM and the White
> House out of their minds?

No.  I didn't say that there's *no reason* to run a backup MX.  Most
people will find it's not worth the effort, but some will opt to do so.
  I only said that it's the most straightforward configuration.  Running
a backup MX that's properly configured is less straightforward, even if
you have compelling reasons to do so.

> I suppose that perhaps Courier is the wrong
> product for any such business, but if so, it seems an unfortunate design
> exclusion.  In any case, that's getting off track.

I also didn't say that.  I think very highly of Courier.  I've run quite
a few different mail server products over the past 14 years, and I'm
very satisfied with Courier.  To the best of my recollection, all of the
advice I've given you with regards to the backup MX will apply to pretty
much any SMTP server software, and many will be much more complex to
configure in a reliable fashion than Courier is.