Lucio Crusca writes:

In data martedì 27 settembre 2011 23:49:25, Sam Varshavchik ha scritto:
> Lucio Crusca writes:
> > 7. some users share a common mailbox (info@....). They SHOULD see unread
> > messages as unread, even when another user has already read that same
> > messages
>
> Although that's possible when using filesystem permission-based shared
> folders, filesystem permission-based shared folders are require system
> accounts to be used, and are severaly feature-limited.
>
> Virtual accounts and virtual shared folders are better, but with virtual
> shared folders all message metadata is shared. Everyone sees the same
> status of each message

Sorry to resume this month-old thread, but I've realized just now the
implications of what you wrote back then...

Is that a Courier limitation or is it a fundamental law of this
universe? In other words, are you aware of any imap server that does not share
all metadata while letting me use virtual accounts?

In maildirs, the message metadata is a part of the filename. Everyone sees the same filename. If the file's name changes, everything sees the new filename. And since all accounts see the same file, everything sees the same message metadata.

If you want maildirs, this is what you're going to get.

There are many other IMAP servers that use something other than maildirs. You need something other than maildirs or old-fashioned mbox files, though. You need something that uses its own custom mail storage. The only one I can think of would be Cyrus, but I do not recall, offhand, what it does with shared mail folders in terms of metadata. But I'm sure that there has to be at least a few other IMAP servers that you can look at.