Lucio Crusca writes:

I assume that "opt MIME=8bit" and "Invalid 7bit data" both refer to mime
encoding. Based on my assumption I guess that converting messages to 8bit
could workaround the errors from the remote mailserver, but... do you think
those assumptions are completely off-the-wall? Here your opinion is very

Well, "opt MIME=8bit" affects MIME encoding of outgoing messages. But the error message that you're seeing from the other mail server, it could mean anything. I don't know anything about that mail server. I have no specific knowledge of what it is. Maybe it has something to do with MIME encoding, or maybe not. Only whoever's responsible for that mail server can give you an authoritative answer.

That's what I mean by wasting time. You could try to infer the possible reason from the error message text, but you really don't know.

welcome, because you're way more skilled than me about mailservers. On the
other and I think I have unbeatable time-wasting skills ;)

I ask that because I already have "opt BOFHBADMIME=accept" in place, I know
that it implies "opt MIME=none" and I don't feel like changing it if it hasn't

No, the two are independent settings. The first one controls what gets accepted for incoming mail. The second one enables or disables MIME encoding of messages that are accepted.