I just thought I'd add my two cents to this "time wasting" discussion:

I have been experience this same problem for about a year now with my ISP (one
of the big 3 in Canada).  They upgraded their server software and I started
getting rejected messages with "Invalid 7bit data".  (Talk about trying stuff
on a live server...)

The issue is, indeed, how some outgoing messages are MIME-encoded.  I don't
completely understand the problem myself, but have done some experiments and
the problem appears to occur when there are a mixture of 7-bit and 8-bit
MIME-encodings, sometimes nested within each other.  There is also some
interaction with different mail clients, as it appears Courier re-MIME-encodes
some sections as it sees appropriate.  Original messages with attachments (or,
at least, 2+ MIME sections) created by M$ LookOut! will usually generate
"Invalid 7bit data" errors, as will forwarding said messages (and the "Invalid
7bit data" DSNs!) using Thunderbird.  Creating a new, plain-text, message with
the same attachments, in either mail client, often (but not always) gets around
the problem.

I haven't tried to implement work-arounds yet, but I appreciate Lucio's efforts
and look forward to hearing of the results.  My ISP has, in the past year, done
something to reduce the frequency of "Invalid 7bit data" errors, by the way.

        William