Dan Johansson writes:

On Saturday 09 March 2013 11.37:01 Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Dan Johansson writes:
>
> > The only error that I can see in the courier-logs is the following in
> > courierlocal.log:
> >
> > Mar  9 16:02:05 torsson.dmj.nu courierlocal:
> > id=00000000006F3BA5.00000000513B4EED.0000337B,from=<bmw-mcs-list-
> > ow...@dmj.nu>,addr=<bmw-mcs-list-moder...@dmj.nu>: Invalid moderation
> > message.
> > Mar  9 16:02:05 torsson.dmj.nu courierlocal:
> > id=00000000006F3BA5.00000000513B4EED.0000337B,from=<bmw-mcs-list-
> > ow...@dmj.nu>,addr=<bmw-mcs-list-moder...@dmj.nu>,status: deferred
> >
> > I have tried with different "From" addresses but I always get the same error
> > message "Invalid moderation message".
>
> It's not the From address. It's irrelevant. The moderation reply is garbled.
>
> Make sure your mail client is including the text of the moderation notice in
> your reply.
>
> And, this should really be an immediate bounce, instead of a deferral. I'll
> fix that.
That is interesting. I have tried a few things but always get the same result.
Here is what I have tried:
1)      Plain "Reply"
2)      Replay, with removing of my signature
3) Reply, remove everything except the two last lines of the original mail (the one containing the "id" of the message)
4)      Reply, removing the ">" in from of the last two lines.

My next step is to try to install another E-mail client and try the reply from there.

Any other suggestion on how to debug this?

Hard to say, without seeing the raw message itself.

Perhaps the mail client is doing something stupid, like base64-encoding the entire reply, even if it contains ASCII-only content.

I suppose that, given the trend of mail clients spewing out disgusting garbage like that, with nobody noticing because it displays normally, it might be necessary to do more work. Maybe a few releases down the line.

In the meantime, your other alternative is to install webmlm, and moderate via the web browser. The webmlmd man pages walks you through the process of doing that.

Then, you could fiddle with the moderation notice template to include the webmlm's URL, so from any moderation notice you can jump into webmlm, and handle it.