Thanks everyone that gave me advice. I seem to be back up and running
again, and not relaying for bad people ;-)

It appears that the main issue was that my account credentials were
compromised for a 1 month period, which loaded my system up with so much
spam things would not function. This made the rest of it look very bad.

mailq showed the issue best, and all the messages in the
/var/lib/courier/msgs showed a successful auth for my user.

By setting esmtpd to force auth, I could quiet the squall.. until I got all
the old queues moved out and fresh new ones put in.

working on deleteing the old junk and reclaiming my drive space may take a
day or more.. and my system is bogged down while that takes place.. but I
should get a few gigs back.

Nick