Just recently, as in the past few days, I'm seeing failures from
Courier's outbound SMTP which report in the mail logs as:

May  3 15:00:40 mitra courieresmtp:
id=0000000000150472.0000000053654AE0.00007045,from=<fmo...@fmp.com>,addr=<x...@xxx.net>:
 500 couriertls: connect: error:140773F2:SSL
routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:sslv3 alert unexpected message

When I use swaks to test ESMTP with STARTTLS I get a segmentation fault
and the dialog is terminated.  A little checking indicates that OpenSSL
is crashing on the client side and the segfault message is generated
locally by OpenSSL, not being sent back through the SMTP connection.
This _seems_ to be a known bug, and is apparently related to fixes for
the heartbleed bug in OpenSSL.  I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with Courier
0.66.1 (the version distributed with this Ubuntu release).  Setting
ESMTP_USE_STARTTLS=0 in /etc/courier/courierd solves the problem in
Courier, at the expense of email security.

Does anyone have any insight on this problem?

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "UNIX is user-friendly, it just
FMP Computer Services |       chooses its friends."