Thanks.  I'm CCing this to the system administrator at nv.net.

On Sun, 2014-05-04 at 20:48 +0200, Hanno Böck wrote:
> On Sun, 04 May 2014 13:05:30 -0500 Lindsay Haisley
> <fmouse-cour...@fmp.com> wrote:
> > I'd like to configure courier to use TLS1 as a fallback in cases such
> > as this.  Is this possible?
>
> This is possible and it is the default. Courier also does that. Every
> TLS app that conforms to standards does that.
>
> Usually what happens is something like this:
> * Client: "Server, I'd like to connect with TLS 1.2"
> * Server: "Sorry, I can't do that, let's use TLS 1.0"
> * Client: "Okay, let's use TLS 1.0"
>
> Now what happens sometimes is that servers are unable to proceed if
> they're connected with a tls version they don't support. So they don't
> answer at all. As far as I can remember, the Facebook-API had such a
> problem when TLS 1.2 first appeared in openssl.
>
> However, this is always a bug on the server side. Every correct
> implementation of TLS 1.0 can handle this gracefully.
> So mx.nv.net is using broken hardware or software. Tell them. There's
> nothing you can do about it except not supporting newer and better
> crypto standards (which really should not be an option if you're
> serious).

For the time being, excepting nv.net from STARTTLS altogether in
esmtproutes seems to be the only workaround for this.  This isn't
mission critical.  I have two customers on nv.net email accounts with
whom I need to correspond reliably.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "UNIX is user-friendly, it just
FMP Computer Services |       chooses its friends."