On 9/5/2014 11:02 AM, Bowie Bailey wrote:
> For one of my users, I am cc-ing his email to a second Courier server.
> For some reason, when I do this, the mail that arrives at the other
> server has a blank line inserted between the original headers and the
> headers added by the second server.  This does bad things to the email
> as the old headers are now seen as part of the body.
>
> I am doing the forwarding using a maildrop recipe that simply looks like
> this:
>
> cc "!u...@domain.com"
>
> How can I troubleshoot this?  It seems to have something to do with the
> receiving server.  If I forward to an address that delivers on the local
> server, the problem does not occur.
>
> Here is a minimally-munged example of the email as delivered by the
> second server after the forward.
>
> http://pastebin.com/fMdVxb7Y
>
> I'm not entirely sure where the "undisclosed-recipients" line is coming
> from.  Is Courier adding that since it doesn't think the original email
> has a "To:" line?

Replying to myself here to add a bit more information...

I captured some tcpdumps of the emails moving around and realized that
the problem happens prior to the message leaving the first server.  You
can see this in the pastebin above -- the first received line above the
blank is from localhost by the first server.  I used the sendmail binary
to send the message manually with the same result.  Using the '-n'
sendmail flag to dump the message text looks normal.

So the blank line is being added by the local Courier server at some
point between being submitted by the sendmail binary and being sent out
to the final destination.  How can I determine what is happening in
Courier to cause this?

--
Bowie