On 9/8/2014 7:51 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Bowie Bailey writes:
>
>> On 9/5/2014 7:39 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>>> The presence of the "From " header /after/ the blank line is a tell-tale
>>> sign that the message text was delivered to an mbox file, and then read back
>>> from it, before being sent again. The "From " line is typically written when
>>> a message gets delivered to an mbox file, at some point along the way.
>> That shouldn't be the case.  As I said, these messages are being
>> forwarded by a 'cc' instruction in the user's .mailfilter file on the
>> first server.  Besides, the server uses maildirs, not mbox files.
> This could very well happen before things arrive at this point.

My test case was an email delivered directly from Thunderbird to Courier
and then cc-ed to the second server via maildrop.  The only thing I can
think of is that maildrop is adding the header before sending the cc.

>> I was trying to diagnose exactly what is happening by watching the
>> communication between the servers, but I can't seem to turn off TLS when
>> talking to the other Courier server.  There used to be a /SECURITY=NONE
>> switch in esmtproutes, but I don't see it in the man page now and it
>> doesn't seem to do anything.  Was this removed?  How can I disable TLS
>> between these servers so I can see the data stream?
> Yes, it was removed, it's no longer necessary. Courier, when sending mail,
> will always use TLS if the receiving server has this capabilities. If an
> error occured while trying to establish TLS negotation, the message would've
> originally failed, and that setting was used to manually force TLS off, for
> individual servers. This is no longer necessary, Courier will requeue and
> retry the message without TLS, automatically.

I remember reading about that change.  I guess I can get rid of my long
list of screwed-up servers in esmtproutes now...

--
Bowie