>SZÉPE Viktor writes:
>>2) Is it possible for Courier to skip DNS lookups for "localhost"?
>>
>>I wonder why Courier is not using gethostbyname().
>>/etc/hosts contains:
>>127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain localhost

all recursive DNS servers should have localhost defined.
Also, mailservers should use own recursive DNS servers, topologically close,
so resolving localhost should not be a problem.

On 26.03.17 10:32, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>gethostbyname/gethostbyaddr can only look up A addresses. Courier
>needs MX records, and so needs to use its own resolver; and with its
>own DNS resolver code already in place, it makes no sense to use
>different resolvers.

Note that different MTAs do the same. AFAIK neither sendmail nor postfix
support gethostbyname() or anything other to look up /etc/hosts.

There's a long-standing bug relating to the x86 architecture that
allows you to install Windows.   -- Matthew D. Fuller