This is a question for any of the coworking spaces who do not keep
regular hours and who want to attract drop-in community members. How
have you been letting your community know when you are open and when
you are closed?

Here at Berkeley Coworking, we went around the room, and came up with
lots of ideas, most of which involved writing code or hacking some
electronics, none of which we're opposed to mind you. However, we
quickly realized we were trying to build the equivalent of a space pen
that can write in zero gravity, when a simple pencil might do the
trick.

Currently we're posting our status on a twitter account and have that
display on our website www.berkeleycoworking,com. That way anyone
who's interested in coming by could conveivably follow us on twitter
and get some form of a ping from us whenever we're in the house. It's
simple, and it has worked so far.  However, we  really can't use that
to show our availability in the future... you know for those who
actually plan their day in advance ;-)

We've also investigated using a Google GrandCentral account to setup a
central phone number that will ring one or more of our anchors (the
ones with the keys to the joint). At this time though, GrandCentral
doesn't let you register your real phone numbers to more than one
account. As a result, I can't receive calls for a coworking
information line, since I use GrandCentral for other purposes.
GrandCentral says that this feature is on their development roadmap,
but didn't give a time estimate.

So, I thought I'd throw this out to the community for discussion. What
have you all tried and what seems to work?

Kindest Regards,

Sean O'Steen
http://berkeleycoworking.com