David,

Thank you. Awesome comments and observations! And yes, I recognize my
tendencies to try technical solutions for what may be social
concerns... it's what I do.

Yes, attracting drop-ins is one of our answers for how to build
community AND how to recruit potential anchors. Which one is more
important depends on who you talk to. For me it's the community.
Trying to build a community is one of the main reasons I joined in.
Fiscally speaking, I'm a minority stakeholder in Berkeley Coworking.
I'm not on the hook for our P&L at this time. If you were to ask one
of the people who are, I suspect they might lean towards filling the
seats.

As I'm still fairly new to this newsgroup, I didn't want lead off with
a how to create community question, I thought I'd try for something
specific, hence the narrowly scoped open / closed thread. I agree that
drop-ins leads to a larger discussion about community and revenue, but
I honestly don't know how to scope it.

Thank you for your feedback!
Sean