Great thread start, Sean.  This is a tough issue because creating the
opportunity for drop-ins is both a desireable piece of a coworking
space as well as a potentially undesirable drag on the time and energy
of space owners.

We are planning to have regular office hours at Office Nomads in
Seattle to facilitate drop-in coworkers.  This was a decision that
Jacob and I decided on with the understanding that it required one of
us to be in the space at all times during those specific hours.  We
get to determine the hours themselves (nice to work with our personal
schedules too!), but as we looked around we felt there wasn't a good
technical answer to solve the drop-in question.  We also tried to
avoid putting the burden of managing drop-ins on our monthly members,
as we want the space to feel like a place where they can come to work
- not necessarily to do our work for us.  We want to be able to meet
drop-ins ourselves and to give them a good introduction to the space
so they feel welcome, understood, and so we can figure out together
whether the space is right for them.  Having one of us there means
that we can get a sense of a drop-in's needs, which is excellent.  The
bummer of the situation is that by splitting up the time to manage the
space, Jacob and I might not see each other much, which means we are
going to rely a bit more heavily on technology to manage our
partnership!

This post also begs the question - do you need drop-in hours?  Office
Nomads is preparing to have drop-ins, but if after a few months there
does not appear to be any demand for drop-ins, we plan to change our
structure a bit.  It is clear that in the world of coworking,
flexibility is key.  Do you think that there are other ways you could
go around introducing people to your space without having to make drop-
ins an option?  What other benefits do you see to having a drop-in
option?  Maybe just test out the drop-in option for a short amount of
time, see how it goes, and if it seems to be working well (recruiting
new members, allowing for greater flexibility, etc.) then keep it
rolling.  If not, then there's your answer.

Thanks for starting up this thread - it is definitely pertinent for us
at Office Nomads as we begin the coworking adventure out here in
Seattle!

All my best,
Susan