Fantastic discussion.  I love to hear what everyone is sharing, and am
keeping
track of the discussion as I am working on a research piece on
coworking.
I am interested in particular in how coworking is changing the way
business is
done and people select careers and employment.

On a couple of the points discussed:

Ownership not just by space owners:

There is an interesting synergy  between coworkers but also between
the people who get involved in the space.
As Alex said, inviting people to come with rollers starts to give them
ownership of the space.
I was talking to an employee the other day who mentioned that being
appreciated helps her take
ownership of her job.  This applies to coworkers in that we find
thanking our members for being part
of our community helps them to reach out to other groups.

Events for connections/membership:
Also, events bring the connections faster than just inviting to work.
We utilize
events to bring in new members and create opportunities for people to
chat with each other.
Often are newer members aren't quite sure how to start discussions
until they have met people
in a social setting or class.  Our events tend to have an educational
component i.e. round table
discussions, marketing bootcamp, 18hr startup, etc.  These are
interactive events, not just a
have a speaker in and everyone sit and listen.  Of the people who come
to our roundtables, we have
50 - 75% sign up as members within 2 weeks of the round table
discussion.

Finally:
Meetups are great way to introduce people to your events when you are
unknown.  They also
can serve to bring more people in as you grow.

Just my 2 cents...

Felicity
Cubes&Crayons
Outside the Cube