I've been fascinated how this discussion has evolved.

There are a number of very real issues being addressed, and this is anything
but a bad thing.

I remain firm on a couple of aspects of the discussion so far:

   - the model used to collect the funds to buy the domain was done with the
   purpose of just that: to buy the domain. we overshot, a good problem to
   have. once the final costs have been established, a technique to either
   return, or appropriately distribute the funds to a domain-related projects
   (design/development, hosting, etc). The people who contributed could have
   chosen not to do so if they didn't trust me to be responsible with their
   hard earned money
   - more importantly, I'm in complete agreement that the model used to
   collect the funds to acquire the domain is *decidedly not ideal* moving
   forward. It was effective for accomplishing the goal, but at the same time
   it is closed, exclusionary, and doesn't fairly represent this community.
   Once the domain has been acquired, I think we can come up with a better
   mechanism, and that mechanism may even involve returning some portion of the
   raised funds to the ~20 funders that stepped up.
   - the discussion around a "coworking entity" has crept back in. *I'm not
   opposed to* the researching of entity creation, the creation of
   an entity, associating with with an entity, or anything else that's been
   tossed on the table. *What I AM opposed to* is the idea that an entity
   solves the problem of how this group makes decisions. The fact of the matter
   is that a group this large makes it hard to make decisions. An entity in any
   of the proposed formats (LLC, Non-profit, co-op, collective, etc) that I've
   read would not be any better at making decisions. We're basically talking
   about an *informal* clusterf*ck (I say that in the kindest way possible)
   and making it a *formal* clusterf*ck. Either way, I've yet to meet a
   clusterfuck that's good at making decisions.
   - I do think that an organizational model can, and will, emerge. That
   model will be good at making decisions, and act in the best interests of the
   community it represents. It may or may not include everybody. It should
   operate on coworking core values.
   - I am assuming the responsibility for the domain coworking.com in trust
   of this community. Should a new entity emerge that makes sense based on
   everything that's been said so far, and that entity would like to assume the
   responsibility from me, I'm 100% ok transferring the domain. until then,
   we'll keep the coworking.com related properties as focused and
   lightweight as possible.
   - To Mike (and subsequently Tony)'s points about Open Source: the most
   common open source projects are the ones that are code prototypes being put
   out into the wild with no leadership behind them, no stated goals, and no
   community of contributors; only a community of users. The *healthiest* open
   source projects adhere to the ideas behind open source, but have defined
   leadership that's able to make decisions that benefit the trunk project.
   Anyone can run a fork, but the trunk...the recognized trunk...is managed in
   every sense of the word. It's open to contributors, but to keep code stable
   and clean, those patch submissions go through several levels of approval
   before being merged in. Linux kernel, the worlds biggest and best known open
   source project, follows this process. *I AM NOT PROPOSING THIS*, I am
   simply citing the realities of how healthy open source projects are grown.
   What is an unhealthy open source project? In my opinion, it's one that is
   free (as in beer) but has an imbalanced ecosystem of contributors and users
   surrounding it, effectively making it unsustainable. Sustainability is in
   our core values to mean more than just "being green". Being sustainable is
   also a reference to business models, practices, communications, and more.
   I'm going to say something controversial, but is largely true: operating
   with unsustainable practices is something that open source projects aren't
   much better at than anybody else.

   "Opensville is a utopia, but nobody wants to pay the taxes."

   *Nestled between Proprietary and Freedomberg, Opensville is a utopia.
>    Everyone who lives in the adjacent cities spends their free time in
>    Opensville. The parks are beautiful, the shopping is amazing, and the
> nights
>    are pure Vegas. Sounds like a great place, huh? One problem: no one
> actually
>    wants to live there. No one wants to pay the taxes or put in the effort it
>    takes to keep the city running. Welcome to Opensville, population zero.
>    * - William Hurley, in his essay Welcome to
> Opensville<http://talk.bmc.com/blogs/blog-whurley/whurley/opensville/>
>    .

Awesome, healthy discussion here. I love hanging around so many smart
people!!

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org