On Feb 23, 2010, at 4:41 PM, Alex Hillman wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Tara Hunt <horsepig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I won't get behind some org structure that we don't fit into, but I would
> happily get behind setting a new precedent (would work for many projects that
> have disparate stakeholders).
>
> AMEN!!!!

Finally!  I just wish I had the same ability to get across a concept to this
group that Tara has. :)

To revisit, I've not been proposing "an org structure that doesn't fit", I was
proposing finding a structure that does.

On Feb 23, 2010, at 5:05 PM, Eli Malinsky wrote:
> For what it's worth, our org has developed a Constellation Model of
> Governance (http://socialinnovation.ca/blog/constellation-model-of-
> collaborative-social-change) that has allowed a number of groups, big
> and small, to work together without incorporating.

Clearly, your collective has never been sued. :-)

Fred Wilson from Union Square Ventures in NYC just published a great post on
Corporate Entities where he covers "liability protection" as a reason for why
you form an entity:

http://www.avc.com/a_vc/2010/02/corporate-entity.html

I know that Alex has offered to hold and protect the domain and Tara and others
have championed the "no entity" approach but let me just draw out an
unfortunate scenario for you, one that doesn't assume Alex will turn die (we
really hope not) or that he'll turn evil (we truly think that is unlikely):

We collectively work on this new domain coworking.com and selflessly
contribute. Coworking thrives to orders of magnitude what it is today, and all
is good. No entity was created and none has been needed.

A few years go by and Big Evil Corp (BEC) sees opportunity cost lost to these
feisty yet undefinable coworking operators and they comes along and ask Alex to
be included on coworking.com.  Alex tells us all and we all immediately know
intuitively that BEC doesn't get coworking, its offerings are not coworking nor
do we realistically expect that BEC ever will get coworking.  So we all almost
unanimously vote against their inclusion with the exception of someone on the
list who happens to be the nephew of BEC's CEO.  And all continues to be good.

Except, 6 weeks later a process server shows up at IndyHall and serves Alex
with a lawsuit for restraint of trade and a variety of other sordid and sundry
things which none of us not in the legal profession understand.  Alex goes to
his personal lawyer and pays $250 out of his pocket for advice and his attorney
tells Alex they have absolutely no case and offers to try to get the case throw
out as a frivolous suit for an additional $1000 in fees which Alex gladly pays
out of his pocket.

Another 6 weeks goes by and Alex finally learns from his lawyer that the judge
won't dismiss the case, but that the lawyer will gladly defend Alex if Alex
pays $5000 for a retainer.  Alex comes to the list and 10 of us we gladly offer
up $500 each to defend Alex against BEC.  Feeling triumphant Alex waits another
3 months for court.

Court begins and BEC's lawyers throw Alex's lawyer a curve ball. BEC's legal
has been working for the past three months and has generated over 1000 pages of
supporting documents based on comments on this list and more.  Alex's lawyer
informs Alex that it will now cost $25,000 more to defend because of the need
for discovery and deposing witnesses, travel cost, etc.  Dejected Alex pleads
to the list again and is able to gather another $1000 from each of those 10
original donors but he's still $15k short.

So Alex being the incredibly principled man he is decides to pull $15k more out
of his own pocket and fight these bastards at BEC.  He spends the next 3 months
mostly focused on the trial and lets his business operations falter.  But it's
the right thing to do for the cause.

Court date is finally here.  Alex and his lawyer are prepared and they are
going to nail BEC to the wall on this day. However BEC is prepared and has
uncovered more evidence of discussions on the list in the past 3 months and
they add it as evidence to their case.  Alex's lawyer sheepishly says "Alex,
I'm really sorry but we're going to need another $25k..."

Unfortunately, Alex is financially tapped out at this point and his lack of
focus on his businesses during the trial has him at the edge of personal
bankruptcy.  He heads to this list for more funds but nobody offers up any.  A
few even accuse him of misappropriating funds. Alex's life is in a tailspin.

Alex's lawyer calls and says that BEC's CEO Will Swindle wants to talk.

Without any other visible option Alex talks with Swindle. Swindle tells Alex
that he understands Alex's predicament and hates to see such good man be
destroyed by something like this.  Swindle tells Alex that he's sorry it's gone
this way for Alex but that he has shareholders to answer to and they demand
that be pursue what's in their interest. Swindle tells Alex and he does have an
option that his shareholders would be satisfied with: Swindle will authorize
BEC to pay all of Alex's legal fees to date and reimburse all people who have
contributed to his legal fund all in exchange for ownership in the
coworking.com domain!

Swindle will even hire Alex to promote BEC's "Coworking" options in the major
markets that have proven viable like New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Los
Angeles, etc. with a goal of attracting all existing coworkers to BEC
offerings. However this "job offer" is a three year contract that must be
agreed to for BEC to drop the lawsuit, and it comes with legal liability if
Alex can be found to be undermining BEC's competitive pursuit of customers from
existing establish coworking facilities. Further, Swindle implies they have yet
another lawsuit that a subsidiary will pursue against Alex if Alex doesn't
agree.

Alex is now faced with two awful choices:

        1.) working for BEC to undermine everyone else in the community that he
was so instrumental in advocating for, or
        2.) personal bankruptcy.

We pretty much know how bad #1 would be, besides we know our good Alex would
never do that anyway, so let's assume Alex defiantly chooses #2.

During Alex's personal bankruptcy BEC makes it clear to the judge that one of
Alex's assets is the domain coworking.com and BEC lobbies the court to provide
that BEC get's the domain as their remedy for their lawsuit that Alex declares
bankruptcy to avoid. And since nobody is now willing or able to pay a lawyer to
defend against this inappropriate lawsuit, the court gives BEC coworking.com!

BEC begins to throw money at every market where there is a coworking space
operating not solidly in the black (i.e. most of them.) From them on both
coworking as an "undefinable wild, wild west" and the domain coworking.com as
we knew it are both gone.

And all this because a vocal group was adamant early on that no structure be
put in place to provide Alex liability and defend against such an action.  Sad,
really.

Implausible?  Only if you've never been a party to a lawsuit.  It's disgusting
what happens when someone who has plenty of money and lawyers on staff can to
do those who don't have an infinite war chest to defend, even against frivolous
lawsuit, at least in the USA.

Yes, an entity could be sued too and we might still loose coworking.com but it
wouldn't destroy Alex financially and it wouldn't be viewed by others early on
as "Alex's problem."  Having a proper entity can insulate us each from
liability and do our best to protect against these types of attacks. For
example, the entity could have insurance against such legal attacks to ensure
we have an equivalent war chest if it get sued.

FWIW.

-Mike Schinkel
Ignition Alley Atlanta Coworking
http://ignitionalley.com

P.S. I figured you all might enjoy a story more than a simple rant. :)