The main attribute of Creative Commons I would like to model is the Accessibility and Ease of Use.

The license is explained in plain, easy-to-understand terms. Adopting CC licensing is almost effortless. Deciding that CC is what you need, and committing yourself to releasing work under Creative Commons is a mental hurdle, not a societal or organizational hurdle. There is no membership fee to create CC licensed content.

Publishing content under a CC license makes it easier to find - several tools exist to find Creative Commons photos, music, books, games etc. Also, those seeking to use (re-use) something that is CC licensed don't need to ask permission to do 95% of the things you'd want to do with said content. It fits Alex's meme of "permission". The barriers to entry are so low that you hardly notice them. However, those who assume barriers (i.e. the Executive Desk types) won't see it the same way.

To Matthew's point:

The same can be said of some open source, but I was referencing the Creative Commons widget when I wrote the post. Many open source projects are created to "scratch an itch", and once we have several working examples, sometimes a process or a standard needs to be created. That's how our community is growing now.

Peace,
Ryan Price
rpr...@ryanpricemedia.com
@liberatr