Brian contacted me off list and already has my response, but I thought that
it might be useful for some others (including other EDC's lurking on the
list) to see my response.

I jotted this down on my
blog<http://dangerouslyawesome.com/2010/11/where-jobs-come-from/>with
a tiny bit more context, but here's the meat of it:

 Like the modern education system, “job creation” makes the assumption that
> at the end of every person’s path is a job. What we’ve found to be the
> reality, though, (and we’re not
> the<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U>
>  only <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc>
> ones<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNwMut3-z1Y>)
> is that some people are motivated by something different, and one of those
> things is “independence”.
>
> Whereas a traditional job creation approach focuses on the businesses that
> provide the jobs, we’ve taken a more environmental approach to create people
> that are more likely to succeed, ultimately creating create jobs for
> themselves and in some cases, other people. This takes the “teach a man to
> fish” adage to a whole new level, and has the potential for a profound long
> term effect on where jobs even come from in the first place.
>
> My response to the inquiry is shared below:
>
> We’re not particularly interested in the creation of “jobs” as we are
> independence. I don’t have numbers that I can share at this time, but at the
> core of our mission is to help people cross the bridge from being dependent
> on a single source of income to many sources, and then to passive sources of
> income. We do this by helping people form dynamic “super-teams” of talent,
> premeditated by the formation of strong social working relationships, and
> then providing guidance and support for product development.

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia