From: coworking@googlegroups.com [mailto:coworking@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of sk...@emergentresearch.com
Sent: Friday, July 01, 2011 8:54 PM
To: Coworking
Subject: [Coworking] Re: What percentage of your membership is made up by
women?

Back when the global coworking survey was done, women comprised about
1/3rd of the US respondents.  Based on our other work, this was
probably a bit higher than the actual female rate, which at the time
we estimated at about 25%.  This data is about 1 year old.

In our interviews with women we often hear that the habits of male
coworkers don't always lead to environments that are attractive to
women.  In particular, the personal grooming and behavioral habits of
young male techies are often highlighted (note to young male techies -
take more showers:)).

Despite this, It seems from our point of view that women's coworking
share is increasing.  Lots of studies show women are more naturally
collaborative than men (sorry guys).  This could indicate in the long
run women coworkers will out number men.

Having said that, self-employment skews male.  So does employment in
the tech industry.  Given that many coworkers are in the tech industry
and self-employed, having more male than female coworkers - at least
today - is not a surprise.

Steve