We've been using Basecamp since the beginning. It's not free, but does have
"unlimited" users.

That said, when posting a message to a 213 recipients, things get a bit
haywire.

Google Groups have their ups and downs even when they're private.

I've very badly wanted non-sucky forum software that has a few of
the niceties that Basecamp has (notably, a thoughtful
email notification system), but every single solution I've evaluated,
unfortunately, falls into the "suck" category.

I hope somebody surfaces something non-sucky, too. :)

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia