I think there's overlap between pop-up and jelly coworking, but they're not
necessarily the same thing.

Jelly is more for organizing people in a place that might not be designated for
coworking - a cafe, a living room, a park, etc. It's low/no commitment and
really doesn't require any infrastructure besides wifi, and Wifi is easier and
easier every year with the availability of decent portable 4G hotspots, and
even the ability for people to "BYO" internet if they have their own tether.

Jelly is more of an 'event' than a specific place. It sounds like this could be
where Peter is headed.

For those who are unfamiliar with Jelly, check out http://workatjelly.com
(http://workatjelly.com/)

Pop up concepts, on the other hand are "less permanent" spaces.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop-up_retail

I think they'd bring with them many of the challenges of more permanent spaces
without the benefits (like Jerome suggests, internet contracts would need to be
negotiated for a shorter term or perhaps borrowed from a neighbor).

There's a bunch of things that I like about the idea of seasonal, short term
coworking, if the Jelly-style events go well.

The lack of permanence to the space removes some of the emphasis on the space
and the infrastructure, pushing the provider to make sure that they're making
the most of the short-term community. The constraint of time could prove
valuable creatively, as Startup Weekend and Hackthons do.

In addition to the time constraint factor, Geoff (my partner) has suggested
that coworking from a space that you knew was going to go away was a great way
to make sure that the community was "for real".

Ask yourself: What would happen to your "community" if your coworking space
burnt down?

The more I think about it, the more I love the notion of seasonal communities -
beach destinations being a great example. It's semi-transient, but also ripe
for community. This sounds like a fun experiment. Keep us posted, Peter!

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia