I'd like to chime in on this, as we just had an issue here.

"Here" right now is Las Vegas, where we just finished the week of InfoSec.
 BsidesLV, Black Hat, and Defcon just completed out here, and so the most
prestigious, and the largest Hacker conferences in the world are now done
for this year (17k attendees).  I was the Secretary of the Board for
BsidesLV, and a participant for Defcon.  I am always involved in some way
or another with Defcon, having spoken for the last 2 years, and being a
reserve speaker goon this year.  Thankfully, they didn't need me.  (Which
was good, cause I was still running around like a chicken with its head cut
off!)

The Vegas hacker cons always have a heavy contingent of "family" feel to
them.  Defcon is often described as the con where you find the 10,000 best
friends you never knew you had.  We have clubs dating back 20 years,
friendships, marriages, divorces, and tight ties to each other.

But to join, to belong?  You have to prove yourself.  Show up more than
once, be willing to learn, willing to teach, willing to laugh, and willing
to help.  Think of it as a pop-up coworking space for a week, and you'd be
on a pretty good track.  Just as with all groups, there is hazing.  There
is NO sexual harassment allowed.  Do people cross the line?  Yup.  Do
people come pretty damn close?  yup.  Is it punished?  oh hell yeah.

Our security groups are called "Goons".  Our security goons are a pretty
rough and ready crowd.  That includes the women goons.  They joke at levels
that are always borderline.  Most of them work close to 20 hours a day to
watch over us, and they do a damn good job.  It's stressful.  That's why
they joke, to de-stress.  Also, to haze new goons.  If you can handle the
jokes from them, it means you won't flip out on some attendee or press who
ask really silly things, and do really stupid things, especially while
drunk.

Last year, there was a goon "Bribe card".  If you did all the things on the
card, you got a coin, and another card.  coin=challenge coin, BTW.  One of
the items on the card was, "Get a woman to flash a goon."  Many women
walked up, flashed a goon, and got a checkmark on their card. (Some of the
goons flashed were female.)  Much laughs were had.  Was it inappropriate?
 Yeah.  The goons were talked to about it, and there were no goon bribe
cards this year.  No coercion was found or known.  There was nothing you
got other than the challenge coin.

One person, who shall remain nameless, decided not only that that was
inappropriate (correct), but that it was sexual harassment (debatable (not
condoning, just saying it's debatable)).  She printed up green, yellow, and
red cards, and handed them out as Harassment cards.

I had a long discussion over twitter with her, and told her that although
her reasons for doing so were fine, and I supported her in those reasons,
her methods were non-optimal.

She wanted to meet and discuss it, so we did.  Long story short (too late
for that, I'm afraid, but I'm trying here!), we agreed that non-consensual
touching, inappropriate remarks to a non-consensual audience, and so forth,
is harassment.  However, friends will walk up to each other, slap each
other on the ass, and say, "Hey bitch, how you doing?"  Is that harassment?
 No, of course not.  It's consensual, with a good friend you have.   So
far, so good.

According to her, in a rape culture like we have in the USA, and in a
female devaluing culture, like we have in the hacker community, any
inappropriate behavior that devalues or objectifies women is akin to rape,
and is definitely harassment.  And that behavior can be "called" by any
person around, including the recipient of the remark or behavior.  And
since the goons were the source of the problem, they cannot be trusted.

I disagreed with her vehemently.  I explained that the goons were talked to
about the bribe cards.  I asked whether there were any goons who gave her
an issue with any harassment issues or any issues at all.  She said that
one of them told her that if she didn't like the smack talk, and the
hazing, she should just leave.  I told her that there is a chain of
command, and she could and should have taken it up that chain.  She said
that they were not to be trusted.  The implication is that they are all
men, and therefore problems in their own right.  In actuality, a very
receptive and friendly lady, Nikita, is one of the heads of the goons.  In
other words, she hadn't bothered to check, but instead, had decided to
judge, in absentia, our own police force.

I also disagreed with her claim that the Hacker Community devalues women.
 She told me that she was asked last year (her first year) whether she was
a girlfriend, without anyone asking whether she was technically competent
(a hacker).  I explained that most hackers compete in Social Engineering
contests.  They are literally trained to read people.  (By the way, she is
an activist journalist, and a barista by trade.  She happens to be dating
someone who volunteers at the con, which is why she's here.)  So she got
read.  She told me that the number of women shows that we devalue women.
 Fortunately, my lovely fiance was next to me, and my fiance is a technical
genius in her own right (If you see me smiling right now, you're right.
 She's awesome.)  My fiance told her that there were more and more women in
the community, and nobody questions them, once they pass the same hazing,
the same gauntlet, the same things that the men did.

We then transitioned to her methods.  I asked her if she knew how the cards
were being used?  There were several women and men who had gotten cards,
and would walk around, telling their friends to say, grab their ass, then
handing them a card.  It turned into a joke, essentially.  Meanwhile,
several people who found out about the cards before the conference, almost
didn't come, in fear of being in our safe place, where we take care of each
other, getting drunk (we drink a bit out here), and getting carded for
something silly, even a joke, and that joke becoming a news story.
 (Reporters are rampant here, as the next month's tech news comes out of
these conferences)

We finished our discussion.  I know I did not convince her totally of my
belief that while sexual harassment is bad, we have a group of overseers
who make sure jokes and inappropriate discussions do not go over the line.
 Hazing happens.  It's a rite of passage.  I walk up to my friends, and
give them hugs.  Are these hugs, or slaps on the ass, bad?  No, unless
someone outside calls me on it.  Then it becomes awkward.  Then you lose
that comfort, that safe place, that community.

I'm terribly sorry for the long monologue.  I'm exhausted, and it's still
frustrating, 2 days later.

Joshua

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Alex Hillman <dangerouslyawes...@gmail.com