We just released the 2012 MBO Partners State of
Independenc<http://www.mbopartners.com/state-of-independence/docs/2012-MBO_Partners_State_of_Independence_Report.pdf>e

report.  This study profiles US independent workers (freelancers, temps,
etc.).  Our firm, Emergent Research, worked with MBO Partners on this study.

Key findings that I think will be of interest to this group include:

   - We estimate there are 16.9 million independent workers in the US
   - About 40% of these folks list home as their primary workplace
   - 1.7% of the respondents said they had or were working in a coworking
   space.
   - The median income for independent workers is $51,000
   - 2.2 million independent workers earn more than $100,000
   - About 50% of the $100k+ club list home as their primary place of work

A couple of comments.  For the purposes of this study one of the criteria
for being included as an independent worker was working at least 15 hours
per week.  In other words, we don't include most part-time independents.
 If we included all the part-timers, the number of US independent workers
would be in the 34 million range.

As I mentioned on this group a couple of months ago, this was the first
time we've seen coworking blip on a statistically representative, national
survey.  The 1.7% overstates the number of folks who work at coworking
facilities, which is a common survey outcome for a hot topic like
coworking.  But we do think this is an excellent sign and shows that
awareness of coworking by independent workers is growing.

The number of independents working from home is consistent with our 2011
survey and consistent with other surveys.

Please see the report for more details - there's a lot in there.  Also,
please let me know if you have any questions.

Steve