Oh, we have that too.  I keep encountering this notion that collaboration
really means, *you pay me to do something and I talk to you about how I
should do it*.

Sometimes people have to be led.  With very concrete requests.  Requests
that have deadlines and are time limited.

One of the better ways to do this is to have a project of some kind which
benefits nobody in the coworking space, other than the space itself.  Find
a nonprofit and run a fundraiser for instance.  Invite local artists to
show their work in your space.  Invite a local theater group to create and
put on a show in your space.  Give the proceeds to a nonproft. Sponsor a
local music event, as a group.  Small businesses never get the chance to do
this, we don´t have enough money.  But together, we might.

The choice is ultimately up to the coworkers really, but I have to say that
I had to start by picking one myself and then being very vague about how
they were chosen.

Then ask people to help.  With discrete tasks, related to their work.  It
is a good bit of work in the beginneng.  But then it starts to go by itself.