I have my own take on Yahoo and telecommuting.

FYI...I opened AltamontCowork in 2009 to get cars off the road (that did
not work), and I co-wrote the first telecommuting plan at Lawrence
Livermore National Lab in 1990 or so....so telecommuting is a hot button
for me.

http://altamontcowork.wordpress.com/category/telecommuting/

Mike

#telecommuting = #coworking = #telework except at #Yahoo

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 4:33 AM, Will Bennis, Locus Workspace <
wmben...@locusworkspace.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Lars!
>
> I think the Times piece about Yahoo and other companies ending their
> telework programs is interesting and important. Certainly puts a wrench in
> the spokes of the easy pitch to companies that they should consider
> coworking in part because of the benefits of flex-time and telework
> programs that I thought were being overwhelmingly embraced.
>
> Of course, we can argue that coworking overcomes the shortcomings of
> working from home, because the social and collaborative elements are still
> there. That said, I don't think that argument is entirely valid when it's
> being addressed to companies that have collaborative team projects.
>
> We've lost members who have moved to the office of their employer because
> collaborating on projects over the internet with occasional face-to-face
> meetings just isn't as good as working in physical proximity with your
> team. And I think they were making the right move.
>
> Will
>
> Of course, we can counter, "But coworking has the productivity benefits
> that working from
>

> On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 5:55:53 PM UTC+1, lhtorres wrote:
>>
>> The New York Times carried a recent piece about Yahoo! efforts to bring
>> its flextime workers back in to the office. At the same time, FastCo has a
>> new piece out showing that businesses are looking to coworking as a
>> solution to productivity and encouraging professional interaction beyond
>> the workplace.
>>
>> I'm curious, does anyone have data about whether coworking is good for
>> innovation? Theory suggests it is (create density and the opportunity for
>> important adjacent ideas to find each other) but I wonder whether there's
>> any "proof"? I think this would be good information to have.
>>
>> New York Times article describing how, why Yahoo! is reining in its
>> homeworkers:
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2013/**02/26/technology/yahoo-orders-**
>> home-workers-back-to-the-**office.html<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/technology/yahoo-orders-home-workers-back-to-the-office.html>
>>
>> FastCompany article on coworking: