We've very consciously shifted our website to match our focus on the club (with
a clubhouse) model, though I've been learning new ways to say it since our
first couple of years:
http://dangerouslyawesome.com/2008/09/the-importance-of-a-clubhouse/

Most recently, we adjusted our membership page and introduced our flagship
membership - a community membership - as both the precursor to Coworking and a
"feature" of our Coworking memberships:

http://www.indyhall.org/membership

It's still early to tell the long term effects, but June 2014 (2 months after
quietly rolling this out) was our best June for growth in *our entire history*.
June 2013 we shrank by a little less than 1% (typical of our June/July growth
historically, given summer vacations). This year, we grew by almost 9% in June.
We normally see that kind of growth reserved for seasonal spikes like
January/February, and September/October.

The really interesting part is how many of these new members "got it". We had
an uptick in new member intros on GroupBuzz, one of our earliest KPIs for new
members being more likely to see beyond the desk.

One of the big takeaways for me, especially during our last 2-3 years of
growth, has been to REALLY embrace the old copywriting cannon "show, don't
tell." It's better to talk about purpose than not at all (and it's definitely
better to talk about purpose than features), but it's even BETTER when you
simply DO your purpose so that members can see it and say it in their own
words.

ABC - Always Be Communicating. If the only time your purpose is mentioned is
when it NEEDS to be mentioned, you'll find that you NEED to mention it more
often :) Bake your purpose into your website. Your tour. Your events. Your
partnerships and collaborations. Use them as ways to demonstrate your purpose,
even if the purpose goes unsaid.

And don't worry if you feel like a broken record. It's just as important for
every new member to see and hear it for the first time, even if you've said or
done something 1000 times.

/ah
indyhall.org
betterwork.co