Thanks to all for your insightful answers :)

Thanks for the link Alex, it is really interesting. They have a very simple
definition: *The rule was for all participants to check in a location that
promotes itself online as “coworking,”*

I've gonne the other way around: the definition of coworking did not matter
much and now it matters more and more. I agree that not all restaurants are
the same and in fact I use that as an example, but that is something that
you have to experience or figure out via their menu/website and appearance.
Event if restaurants vary a lot, they have a common set of things that
define them as a restaurant, and that differentiate them from coffee shops,
bars, cooking schools, catering spaces, etc.

I'm not trying to define the whole of the collaborative ways of working
space, just the basic elements of what is coworking.

Jacob, I agree that the motivation and experience have a huge impact on the
personality of the space and the kind of clients it will keep, but still:
don't you think we can figure out a minimal set of factors that identify a
space as a coworking space?

Chad, you are right about community, it is a really identifying factor.
There are looser and closely knit communities. How would you define it from
the outside and not from the feelings of the members?

vgra...@gmail.com Yes, they are members of a community, but also our
clients. Not just clients, but still clients. We owe them a service for
their money, and we engage in a contract with them for this.

Jeanine, thanks :) You are very right in the international differences and
even within a city. In our experience the word love creates the wrong image
of being more like a commune. We say friendly, but not friends: the
attitude we know, we can not assure that one particular person is going to
make friends and most are not looking for that, in fact it turns them away.

What Regus calls coworking is just an open space, and an open space is not
coworking, although coworking spaces do have open spaces. Their clients,
like most clients of business centers, are not looking to be part of a
community, except maybe a community of status-quo/club-house. We (Stefania,
Sara, and I) consider ourselves also members of our coworking community, we
are betacoworkers too, but we do have a special role and responsabilities.

When I wrote The Coworking Handbook <http://coworkinghandbook.com>, I
dedicated part of the intro to talk about different kinds of
collaborative working spaces. Not being a coworking space is not an issue,
it is OK. Being a coworking is not just using a name like if we were
wearing a purse of Louis Vuitton. I think the text contains a lot of
interesting elements, but it is too long. Here's the original text:

The defining characteristics of coworking spaces are their facilitators and
> [...]
>> without seeking it.
>

>> You then end up talking about your startup project and that person gets
>> you in touch
>

>> with a friend who can become your first client. You did not know that
>> this person was
>

>> connected to that prospect, it just came up in conversation. You just won
>> a new
>

>> prospect and the other person has connected his or her friend to a
>> possible business
>

>> contact.
>

>> Serendipity—being an accident, something that happens out of
>> chance—cannot be
>

>> organized like a recipe or a computer script, but if we set up a
>> framework of actions,
>

>> processes, and reflexes, this will help us increase the chances of it. We
>> can create the
>

>> right ambiance, attitude and systems to make it happen more often.
>

>> But not everything can rely on chance and serendipity. The coworking
>> space managers
>

>> know their community best and have more connections, and they are always
>> learning
>

>> from them. It is part of their job to help connect people, to build
>> trust, and to reduce
>

>> friction (to make it easier to connect), so that more exchanges can
>> happen more easily.
>

>> They are the ones that will value the needs and personality of the
>> coworkers to suggest
>

>> the best matches.
>

>> The focus of coworking is on its community, so spaces come in all shapes
>> and sizes:
>

>> workers in only one industry, many industries, fixed desks, shared desks,
>> pre­approval
>

>> of members, direct sign­up, temporary pop­up coworking spaces, more
>> trendy­,
>

>> industrial­, or business­oriented spaces... The design of the space is
>> not so important—
>

>> what matters are the people who populate it and their interactions. This
>> is what makes
>

>> or breaks a coworking space.
>

>> You will find the word “coworking” used for many different kinds of
>> spaces, but don’t
>

>> be mistaken: many of them offer nothing more than shared desks (formerly
>> known as
>

>> hot­desks, open spaces, and flex­desks) and treat the coworkers as a
>> second­class
>

>> client. An open space is just that: an open space. It is a configuration
>> of a room, it does
>

>> not imply anything else.
>

>> To know if you are in a real coworking space or not, check if the
>> operators of the space
>

>> do something to accelerate and dynamize the community. Coworking is a
>> verb, it
>

>> implies action from the coworking operators to build a community. If all
>> they offer is
>

>> shared secretarial services, they are not a coworking space.

The part I like the most is that coworking is a verb and requires action to
happen, it is not just a space. The part I don't like is that is too
convoluted and long.

One of the things I'm glad to see is that when we talk coworking not only
the people at Betacowork end up discussing food ;)