Yeah that seems high.  On $1500 I'd expect $50-75 in fees.  We currently
use USAePay+ACCPC+CheckGateway and it's about 2.1%.  When you process more
and you've been around longer, the rates go down.  Your services probably
give you more then you are asking for... some funky "feature" they think
warrants the added fees.  They should at least throw in a Christmas turkey.

But yes, it's all kinda crazy.  The reason for it is that there are a lot
of middle-men taking a cut along the way.  I could dig in to the details
but it would make your head spin even more.  I'm currently exploring the
idea of starting our own payment gateway where all the proceeds go towards
coliving and coworking movements.  If we can add a layer where our members
are voting with their payments then we have a revenue stream, a
communication channel, and direction. Combine this with something like
Copass and things get really interesting really fast.

If anyone is interested in exploring this with me, please let me know.  But
sorry Jensen none of this would be ready in time for your needs.  Switch to
stripe and move on.  You'll recoup the $500 soon enough.

Jacob