I've been interested in the Honeywell NetAXS-123 system. I only need a 1
door solution right now, but this can take expansion boards to support up
to 3 doors if we remodel. TCP/IP connectivity lets me put it on our
internal network for programming, supports power over ethernet (PoE) or can
use AC and a backup battery. It runs a built-in webserver for browser-based
configuration so everything is locally controlled, but you have an option
for remote access too. I can tie it in with our alarm system so that will
disarm when a user swipes. I'm finally seeing some reviews on Amazon and
the biggest criticism is the web server is slow and the setup isn't
intuitive.

It has a lot of nice features. One supported scenario I want, like when I'm
at GCUC, is for the door to be unlocked M-F 9a-6p, but it won't unlock
automatically until the first cardholder swipes in after 9am. They refer to
it as a "snow day" feature. Obviously, you can set up 24/7 access for some
members, but the building wouldn't be "open for business" until a member
shows up during regular hours.

Downside is it looks like it would run around the $700 - $1K mark with the
magnetic lock we'd need. Also, Honeywell doesn't support DIYers, so it
might be wise to get a professional install the system. Probably a good
idea anyway, since fire code compliance has some requirements on ease of
exit if someone is working at 2am and wants to keep the doors locked for
their security.

   *Glen Ferguson*
 Phone: 301-732-5165
Email: g...@coworkfrederick.com <mailtog...@coworkfrederick.com>
Website: http://coworkfrederick.com
Address: 122 E Patrick St, Frederick, MD 21701