I can't tell you all how timely this thread is for me! I currently manage a
coworking space in Bath and we have recently noticed an increased
engagement from our members which is great however, this has also
highlighted one of key issues - lack of team space for growing companies.
We thought we had this problem last year when members complained about lack
of space, this turned out to be more of a perception issue and was quickly
fixed by rearranging the main coworking room and introducing additional
desks. However, the problem has arisen again, and we are now having to turn
away teams of 3+ as we don't have the space at our current premises.

My colleague and I are now looking at opening a second space, one of my
concerns has been though would it make more sense to relocate the entire
existing community if possible rather than opening and managing two spaces
in the same city?

One of the reasons I think it may not be an issue is that the new space
would have its own identity and offering, I imagine that it would offer a
higher percentage of team and fixed desk space, with those users encouraged
to use the meeting rooms at the original hub, helping to link the two
communities together. With the city we occupy being so small I can't see
members moving to the new space due to location either, but I can see that
several members would move BUT better to keep them in our community in a
new space rather than lose them to a competitor.

I'm just keen to understand if a separate identity/offering is enough to
make sure that both spaces can maintain growth?

Thanks