Hey Justin, welcome to the list!

You're in an interesting spot, here. Squishing "community management" and
sales together might have a lot to do with why the previous people didn't
work out, so I can't help but wonder exactly what expectations you've been
given. Is it all about putting butts in seats? Does it matter whose butt?
:)

Most valuable thing you can do right now - before this big upcoming growth
spurt - is to spend some time really working to understand why the
community that already exists is there. Are they willing to be helpful to
each other, ore more focused on their own work? What drew them together,
besides needing a place to work? What stories of success can you learn?

Use what you learn to reverse engineer what makes this community tick, and
what the *members* might want to see out of the upcoming growth. Make sure
that aligns well with what your boss wants...and then, while you're
growing, focus all of your energy on encouraging the community to play an
active role in that growth in ways that you know they're already interested
in (which you know, because you spent time working to understand them).

*Just be careful - growth spurts can be extremely difficult on existing
communities.* Too often, growth becomes the goal that overshadows the
community itself. Grow smart.

One of the most consistent HIDDEN patterns I've seen in the coworking
spaces I've studied is that growth spurts are almost always followed by
disproportionate increases in attrition. If the ratio of relationships to
strangers lands out of whack, that generosity and willingness to help out
is likely to be impacted.

In a lot of cases, this goes unnoticed (or is ignored) but over time
creates a vicious cycle of turnover. New York, of all cities, is probably
the easiest city to weather attrition because of the constant demand...but
be prepared for this to impact the community that sets you apart from the
others.

Growth is great, but make sure that everyone (new and existing) is still
sharing goals and expectations. Keep your edge by keeping your community
involved in the growth.

-Alex

*The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.*
Join the list: http://coworkingweekly.com
Listen to the podcast: http://dangerouslyawesome.com/podcast