So here's the thing.  You have to work with what you have of course, and my
experience has been that the coworkers solve this problem for me if I
approach it in the right way.

Our basic motto (loosely translated) is "where the space changes to suit
you and not the other way around"

This has a pun in Dutch which is untranslatable I am afraid.

So we provide the basic amenities and the coworkers can:  bring in their
own furniture, move the furniture, ask for this and that from the furniture
budget, ask to have furniture moved or removed.

It does help that I have a background in theater :-)

One of the more interesting things is to see the space change as the micro
communities change within the space.  At one time we had a catering company
as a coworker and our largest conference room became a large, eat in
kitchen complete with baking cookies which was very homey.  We also had a
yoga/meditation space for a while as we had a coworker who did mindfulness
courses; at one time we had a near art gallery because the artist in
residence was a whole group of painters who were quite prolific.

I give them the ground, the coworkers have to seed it.

All of this is to say, if they want a kitchen and they have to tools and
agency to make a kitchen, they will make a kitchen.

Warm regards,

Jeannine